Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.atlantaeatsblog.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Installation (Wordpress Part): Steakhead's Atlanta Eats Blog: Struckout at Dantanna's

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Struckout at Dantanna's

As stated in my profile, two of my passions are being an avid sports fan and good food. Steaks are amongst the top of my list (hence the name Steakhead), so I was really looking forward to heading to the upscale sports bar Dantanna’s near Lenox Mall last night for a Mets victory over the Braves and a first rate meal. Unfortunately, I would leave disappointed. Let’s start with the layout. The bar area is relatively small for a sports bar, utilizing long tables with one-directional seating. While this isn’t bad if you are by yourself or in a two-person party, it can be rather antisocial if you have a larger group. The bar is where the action was last night, and being full when I arrived, I settled on a table in the restaurant. The restaurant area has a limited number of TVs, which could be an issue if you are interested in watching multiple games. Not a problem in a slow sports night like last night, but a significant problem during football season, early NCAA coverage, or if you are a fan of some obscure team.

I ordered a gin and tonic to start with and it was practically undrinkable. Its absolutely amazing to me how many bartenders in Atlanta can’t make a decent gin and tonic. Either the tonic is too flat, or the bartenders think they are doing you a favor by filling the glass with gin and just splashing some tonic on top of it. Its supposed to be a refreshing drink, people!
For an appetizer, a friend and I shared a shrimp dish with an asian, ginger sauce with couscous. This was actually good, and the best part of the meal. I ordered the Ribeye steak for a main course, and asked for it medium rare. I specifically inquired if their definition of medium rare is the traditional NYC definition- warm red center- and was assured it was. The steak was unfortunately more medium to medium-well, which to me is a ruined opportunity. On a plus side, the meat was seasoned well, and seemed to be a good cut of meat. Service was prompt and attentive, so I give Dantanna’s some props there as well. But for a place that sells itself as upscale fare (and the prices reflect that), it misses the mark. Probably trying to be too many things, as I wouldn’t recommend it for either a steakhouse or a sports bar. From now on, I’ll rely on Chops for my steaks and Frankie’s for my sports bar. Oh, and the Mets lost. 0 for 2. Grade: C-.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home