Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.atlantaeatsblog.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Installation (Wordpress Part): Steakhead's Atlanta Eats Blog: Decent Thaidings in Fairlie-Poplar

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Decent Thaidings in Fairlie-Poplar

I am not sure if I initially liked Thaidings because a) its actually decent, b) the lack of other options in this cool little Downtown area, or c) because my expectations were so low going in. Perhaps it was a combination of all three.

My first experiment with this place was about 9 months ago, before Thaidings opened. The previous Thai place was completely forgettable with the exception that they had no air conditioning. The décor was ratty. And I was grateful I made it through the day without getting food poisoning. About 3 months ago, I noticed a Grand Opening sign and a new name- Thaidings- and decided to poke my head in. (BTW- the Grand Opening sign is still there.)

The décor has been much improved. New, somewhat cheap-chic tables and chairs, a fresh coat of bright lime-green paint, and yes, an air conditioner! The place already looked 1,000 times better. The menu features your standard Thai classics- curries, noodle dishes, basil chicken, basil rolls and coconut soup. Lunch will run you about $10, which includes a bowl of soup or salad. And now that I have been there a couple of times, I can actually say it’s not that bad. I have had the basil chicken and the drunken noodle bowl, and each was generally pleasing. The basil rolls, which should forego the imitation crab meat for shrimp, could have been better.

They get a decent crowd for lunch, as most tables were occupied by noon. But when you think about the number of people who work downtown, where getting into a car for lunch is an impossibility, and the very few acceptable alternatives for an inexpensive, nearby lunch spot, it’s not hard to figure out why.

After speaking with the owner, who is a very friendly and sociable soul, I am not sure of the future of Thaidings. This is disappointing, considering she seems to have a following amongst the downtown lunch crowd. It's not a place I would recommend driving to from other parts of the city, but if you happen to work nearby their location at 68 Walton St., it’s worth the walk over on a nice day.

Steakhead Recommends: Perhaps...if you happen to be in the area
Price: $-$$

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home