Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.atlantaeatsblog.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Installation (Wordpress Part): Steakhead's Atlanta Eats Blog: A Slice of NY Heaven at Capozzi’s

Monday, August 13, 2007

A Slice of NY Heaven at Capozzi’s

One of my biggest pet peeves about Atlanta has been the lack of decent New York-style pizza. As good as the Atlanta dining scene can be, there are a few staples from home- namely pizza and Italian subs- where I find most of the options completely unsatisfying. Well, I may have found the answer to one of those cravings.

I was turned on to Capozzi’s NY Pizza & Pasta by a co-worker who makes a special trip from Decatur all the way to this East Cobb joint located on Roswell Rd. just east of the intersection with Johnson Ferry. Lady Steakhead and I went Sunday night and it was a bustling scene. This place looks like a New York neighborhood joint (and the main wall is adorned with pictures of the Manhattan skyline, to drive the point home). The kitchen and the counter is in the front as you walk in, with a narrow strip of tables extending toward the back of the restaurant. The place was almost completely full when we arrived at 6pm, and as you can imagine, is quite child-friendly.

I ordered two slices of pepperoni and onion, and did the traditional fold (Lady Steakhead doesn’t understand this practice). Pepperonis generously covered the entire slice, and yet were not overpowering. Furthermore, this may have been the least greasy pepperoni pizza I have had in Atlanta. I gobbled down my two slices with great gusto, and still had room to try some of the wife’s Penne Bolognese. This bowl of pasta is massive, and provided enough food for her and Baby Steakhead (and the occasional forkful stolen by yours truly), and there was still enough to take home for dinner tonight.

And here is the kicker for the evening- two entrees, an appetizer of cheese garlic bread, one glass of chianti and a bottle of Sam Adams only cost $27! Since Capozzi’s is only about 5 miles from the house, it is primed to takeover as favorite pizza for takeout. Ippolito’s may still be the favorite for dining in, based solely on atmosphere. But make no mistake, the food and prices at Capozzi’s kick the pants off of Ipp’s.

Steakhead Recommends: Is there better NY-style pizza in Atlanta? Fuhgeddaboudit!
Prices: $

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger chefchipdes said...

Hey, Steakhead! Really enjoy your blog.

Can't tell you how many times I've passed by Capozzi's and it never occurred to me to drop in!

Thanks for the review. I'll have to bring the Wife and Kids and give it a shot.

--Chef Chip

7:11 AM  
Blogger ed said...

We like Capozzis as well as Ipps. If you don't mind the drive over to Atlanta St in Smyrna at the Kroger shopping center just south of 285 there is a small, mostly take out place called Saint Angelos that has slightly better crust in my opinion. Another favorite is Blue Moon pizza on Windy Hill and 41. My favorite dish there is the buffalo chicken in a salad on pizza dough crust. Yum, Yum.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We eat at the capozzi's on sandy plains all the time. Love everything on there menu. And there prices are great. Sure helps when you have 3 kids. Thanks, K

2:22 PM  
Blogger Feed Watcher said...

Steakhead!!

I am so happy to see that you are thriving out here on the web! What a great site!!

I go to Capozzi's at Sandy Plains & Shallowford all the time! I was googling them to look at the catering menue for a party I am having thie weekend, and your review was the #2 site on f'in GOOGLE!!

I am going to start blogging again sometime soon--your progress has inspired me!

PS Capozzi's is awesome. I even had a post with pictures of their bubbling baked ziti a few years ago. Nov/Dec 2005, I think. Although that particular evening was rather blurry...........

6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home