Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.atlantaeatsblog.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Installation (Wordpress Part): Steakhead's Atlanta Eats Blog: Canton Cooks Really Cooks

Friday, July 08, 2005

Canton Cooks Really Cooks

One of my biggest culinary disappointments in Atlanta has been the lack of decent Chinese food. I have my favorite place on Buford Highway and a great dim sum place on Chamblee Dunwoody, but all in all, I find the run of the mill Chinese place in Atlanta to be pretty poor. And why do Atlanta Chinese places insist on putting peas and carrots in the Egg Drop soup??? Coming from the North, I find this rather odd.

But lo and behold, there is hope. I had heard a recommendation of Canton Cooks in Sandy Springs last summer, but didn't make it up there until just this week (after I heard Steak Shapiro- no relation- brag about it on his 790 morning show). Let me tell you, this place is good.

This place really looks the part. You walk through red doors and there is a dragon ertched in glass as you walk in. Reminds me of circa 1970 Chinese in New Jersey. The menu is expansive, ranging from traditional dishes like Kung Pao anything, to more exotic dishes like dungeoness crab. For those that have read my reviews in the past, this sounds like Crustacean in San Francisco, and I am dying to go back to Canton Cooks to try their version.

I went for lunch, and like most Chinese places, there is a ~$7 lunch that includes soup, and egg roll and a chicken wing. And guess what? No peas and carrots in the Egg Drop Soup! The soup was great and the kung pao chicken swimming in a zesty, dark Asian sauce.

My next visit will entail some of the more adventurous offerings, and most likely for dinner. But so far, I am sold. Grade: A-.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home