Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.atlantaeatsblog.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Installation (Wordpress Part): Steakhead's Atlanta Eats Blog: June Top 5 List- Best Barbecue

Thursday, June 09, 2005

June Top 5 List- Best Barbecue

Now, before I write this, I know that Atlantans and Southerners are about as loyal to their particular flavor of barbecue as they are to their college football team. And telling someone from Texas that a Carolina barbecue joint is the best in the city, well, you might as well tell them that the Tarheels would kick UT any day of the week. But the great thing about Atlanta is that we have just about every flavor of barbecue represented, and Steakhead is here to break it down for you.

5- Fat Matt's. Personally, I think this place is overrated. The ribs are often more gristle than meat, the parking situation is atrocious, and when the band is playing you can't hear yourself talk. But it does offer some amenities. The Morningside location makes it easily accessible to numerous locations and it does have character.

4- Rolling Bones. A newcomer to the Atlanta barbecue scene, Rolling Bones specializes in Texas style barbecue. They are housed in a converted 1940 gas station on Edgewood Ave. near downtown. The full menu offers ribs, plates and sandwiches for eat in or take out, though the ribs are really their centerpiece. The meat is "fall-off-the bone" and the sauce is rich enough to please the most discriminating Texan.

3- Williamson Brothers. This Marietta-based barbecue joint has the look. From the road, you can see the smoke rising from the pit where they specialize in traditional Southern barbecue. And the wood-paneled exterior resembles something you would expect to find in rural Alabama (owners are from Taladega), than suburban Marietta. Their specialty is the sauce which they sell from their location and via numerous local retailers. The all you can eat special for $8.49 will leave you full for a week.

2- One Star Ranch (formerly Rib Ranch).The barbecue shack in the parking lot of the olf Rio Bravo has been a Buckhead mainstay for 20 years. Get a bucket of Lone Stars and the pork plate and you'll think you're in Texas! Add the 'Tub O' Rings' to add insult to injury.

1- Dusty's. Located at the corner of Briarcliff and Clifton near Emory, Dusty's specializes in Carolina style barbecue. While I admit this style of barbecue is an acquired taste, Dusty's does it about as good as anyone. With numerous vinegar-based sauces to augment your pulled pork, and of course the hushpuppies, Dusty's has earned the top spot in Steakhead's Best Barbecue list.

Of course, feel free to chime in if you're from Alabama and can't fathom why Dreamland didn't make the list, or for any other comments or concerns.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I just mentioned Fat Matt's on MUSE's blog today. From there, I got here where I read your latest entry. Do you really think Fat Matt's is overrated? I used to go there (~10 years ago) when I was in school, and I loved it. Has it changed since then? I can't wait to try out the other places you mentioned when I'm in town next. I <3 BBQ!

10:04 AM  
Blogger Steakhead said...

I dont know if its changed that much, but the ribs tend to have their fair share of gristle. But it is fun to be there when the blues are playing, and it still makes the Top 5 list. I just think there are better places. The old Rib Ranch is the best comparison to Fat Matt's in terms of barbecue and watering hole.

12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll just have to eat at BOTH places next time I'm home. Thanks for the reviews!

4:44 AM  
Blogger Charlie Mc said...

Thanks for stopping by steak....

I'm not hitting the Devil's and Dust tour...I did not hit the Ghost tour either....the ONLY two albums of Bruce's that I could do without.....

A dog named Fenway....I can deal with that, now if he was named Manny or Ortiz, I may have an issue!!!

6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steakhead, how can you have a review of barbeque without having Harolds on the list? The corn bread with a cracklin in it cannot be more authentic plus the chopped half and half plate rocks.

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home