Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.atlantaeatsblog.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Installation (Wordpress Part): Steakhead's Atlanta Eats Blog: Authenticity Served at Sushi Huku

Monday, May 15, 2006

Authenticity Served at Sushi Huku

Sushi Huku on Powers Ferry Rd. is quickly becoming one of my favorite sushi places in Atlanta. The place has a very authentic feel to it, which I initially attributed to the décor and the dress worn by the waitresses and the sushi chefs. But I uncovered an interesting fact while chatting up the sushi chef Saturday night. Of the approximately 150 sushi restaurants in Atlanta, Sushi Huku is one of 10 that are owned by a Japanese person. I am not exactly sure if this is true, but I have heard that many sushi places are owned and run by Koreans, so it wouldn’t surprise me. And of course in this town, where the trend is to add a sushi bar to make a restaurant “hip” (Tom Catherall), and you can definitely believe it.

Sushi Huku has a full menu of Japanese traditional meals, but I have come for sushi, so the only thing on the menu I will order is a large Asahi (not sure that it’s even on the menu, but it seemed like a clever thing to say). I go with my usual order (tuna, yellowtail, unagi, salmon) and even splurge with an order of toro- the premium fatty tuna. The highlight of my dinner is the Samurai Roll, recommended by the sushi chef. This roll features a lightly fried tuna roll served warm, covered in spicy tuna and an aioli dressing. Mucho yummy. (How to say this in Japanese?)

If I have one reservation about Sushi Huku, it seems like the food is served a tad too quick. I wouldn’t say I felt pressured to provide my order, but I was asked several times if I was ready. When I made my order with a Miso Soup, the fish came first. For the price of Sushi Huku, which with a drink can easily get to $40-$50 per person, I would like to be there for a little longer than 45 minutes.

The next time I go, however, I am going to try their Omakase dinner. I have had wonderful Omakase experiences at both Nobu in Las Vegas and Morimoto in Philadelphia. The cost of this multi-course, chef-selection meal can be prohibitive, getting to three figures in both the aforementioned institutions. At Sushi Huku, however, it is $50. If you decide to go this route, it is not featured on the menu, and the chefs request that you call in advance.

Steakhead Recommendation: Yes
Cost: $$$

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home