Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.atlantaeatsblog.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Installation (Wordpress Part): Steakhead's Atlanta Eats Blog: Redfish- A Bayou Beauty in Cabbagetown

Monday, March 27, 2006

Redfish- A Bayou Beauty in Cabbagetown

Friday night marked a return to my old Cabbagetown stomping grounds, as Lady Steakhead and I made our first visit to Redfish, a Creole Bistro. After my opening day tour of the restaurant three weeks ago, I had been eagerly anticipating this trip for some authentic Cajun cuisine, and specifically, some New Orleans BBQ shrimp, which was featured on their opening day menu!

With reservations in hand, we were promptly seated in the packed restaurant that seemed to bustle with activity. A quick peruse of the menu, though, and I was in crisis mode. Where were the barbecue shrimp? It turns out, some yahoos had been disappointed that New Orleans barbecued shrimp don’t come with barbecue sauce, and management decided to remove the dish from the menu! I was assured if I called in advance they would make it for me, and I will definitely take them up on that. But to save folks from future disappointment, and to protect one of the best dishes that the Cajun’s ever created from the endangered menu items list, if you see New Orleans-style barbecue shrimp on a menu, it does NOT come coated in barbecue sauce!

We started with two appetizers- the Bayou Crawfish Cakes and the Creole Ceviche. The crawfish cakes were outstanding. Big chunks of crawfish, seemingly baked in a rich Cajun roux (although I couldn’t confirm this), and served with a jalapeno tartar sauce. The shrimp and scallop ceviche was different than others I have had, as the marinade was a spicy, red juice. It was tasty, but it could have used more shellfish, as I was quickly left with just the marinade, onions and tomatoes.

For my main course, I went with the 3 Pepper Catfish. The breading on the catfish is to die for. Quite simply, this was the best catfish I have had in Atlanta, and possibly the best I've ever had! Lady Steakhead, a true Louisiana Cajun, opted for the Shrimp and Crab Etouffee. This dish was a winner as well. The roux was rich and there was plenty of seafood. But, as it usually goes when LS and I head out for a night on the town, I ordered better.

So, sans Barbecue Shrimp and all, we were very happy with our experience at Redfish. The menu has many of the Cajun classics as well as some interesting takes on some not-so-traditional creole dishes. Cost: $$. Grade: A-.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home