Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.atlantaeatsblog.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Installation (Wordpress Part): Steakhead's Atlanta Eats Blog: Chapter 1- Always Avoid Asian Buffets

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Chapter 1- Always Avoid Asian Buffets

If I ever write The Idiot’s Guide to Finding Great Restaurants, the first rule of thumb would have to be Always Avoid Asian Buffets. This seems like a no-brainer, I know, but every time I promise never to go back, I get the Michael Corleone treatment and get lured back in. Last night, Lady Steakhead and I tried Badayori in Sandy Springs, since a) we had heard a few somewhat flattering comments about it, and b) its around the corner from our house. Do I need to even write the rest of this review, for you to figure out the outcome?

Badayori is an all-you-can-eat sushi buffet. At $26 per person for dinner, it’s not cheap. And actually it’s the price that in my mind does this place in. Its not that the food is that bad (ok- its pretty bad), but its just not worth $26. The sushi did not seem like the choicest cuts, the rolls were unadventurous, and I just couldn’t stop wondering how long some of the pieces had been sitting out. The place is not very crowded so it’s not like the pieces turn over at a high rate.

The selection at the buffet is somewhat impressive, including some of my favorite Japanese starters- Seaweed salad, oshinko (Japanese pickles), Miso Soup and a very tasty seafood spring roll. But again, would you pay $26 for some pickles and mediocre (at best) sushi?

I have been to several places in LA and New York where you can sit at a sushi bar and order all-you-can-eat sushi. These are normal sushi restaurants where many folks order a la carte. With the all-you-can-eat deal, the sushi is made to order from the sushi chef, and covers mostly the full extent of the sushi menu. Typically, you have a time limit, say 1 hour, and when the hour is up, you get the bill. Atlanta is really missing a place like this, and if anyone who reads this knows of a local sushi bar that has this option, please let me know.

But as for sushi buffets, or Chinese buffets, Steakhead is out from now on. Yeah, I know I have said that before, but this time I REALLY mean it!

Steakhead Recommends: No
Cost: $$$

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your blog. Do you have interest to share it more to the world? You are invited to join our community site of value sharing.
Jobvoices is a one stop for worldwide career reference. Link readers to your blog and everyone may gain values. We will also do profile promo for our members to the world, when we select a best pick on weekly basis.
Have a nice day.

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home