Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.atlantaeatsblog.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Installation (Wordpress Part): Steakhead's Atlanta Eats Blog: A Good Egg- Old Meat Packing Plant Transformed into Trendy Cafe

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

A Good Egg- Old Meat Packing Plant Transformed into Trendy Cafe

The West Midtown area is quickly becoming one of my favorite restaurant neighborhoods in Atlanta. I have already written about very positive experiences at Spoon and Real Chow Baby, and have been a long-time fan of Taqueria del Sol for years. Last week, I had the pleasure of checking out the West Egg Café for the first time at the suggestion of my former boss. Another winner!

West Egg Café on Howell Mill and 14th St. is a breakfast and lunch café that follows the loft concept that is prevalent within the area. While some lofts are new construction, the West Egg is actually situated in a 1930s addition of an old meat packing plant (it appears we have a trendy Meat Packing District as well!). The menu is presented on large colorful chalkboards located behind the counter. Lunch is primarily salads and gourmet sandwiches.

I had my eye on the Turkey Meatloaf from the moment I walked in, but when I saw a Fried Green Tomato BLT on the specials board, my world went into a tailspin. Decisions, decisions. In the end, my Southern upbringing (well, okay, I am not from the South, but in reality, who in Atlanta is??) pushed me to the Fried Green Tomato BLT and a decision I did not regret. And trying to be a little healthier, I love the fact that all sandwiches are served with your choice of a side salad, soup or fruit cup.

I recently wrote an article of there not being a ton of choices around Centennial Olympic Park. I still am standing by that statement (look for a future write-up on SideBar, for another option in this area). However, a short drive up Marietta St. to Howell Mill Rd. will uncover a plethora of good eateries perfect for lunch hour. Add the West Egg Café to this list.

Steakhead Recommends: Yes
Price: $

1 Comments:

Blogger Darcey said...

Thanks for the suggestion - its so close to me that I might have to give it a trial today! :)

6:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home